This page is still under construction! More awesome information to come!
Median Pay1: $51,265
Teacher Reciprocity Requirements2: Virginia Department of Education
- Education/Experience Requirements: Bachelor’s degree from regionally accredited school and state-approved teacher preparation program.
- Testing Requirements: Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment (VCLA), Praxis Subject Assessments required. Praxis Series Reading for Virginia Educators (RVE) required for select endorsements. Assessments waived with 3 years of full-time teaching experience.
- Temporary Certificate Offered?: No
- Other Notes: Teacher preparation program requirement may be waived with current and valid teaching certificate from another state or National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) certification. Child abuse recognition and intervention and emergency first aid training required.
- Teacher Pensions Overall Grade3: D – Click here to see why.
- 5-year vesting period.
- Employees/employers DO pay social security tax and therefore ARE eligible for social security benefits.
- Portable plan available that all new teachers are enrolled in.
2Teacher Reciprocity: sourced from data aggregated by Teacher Certification Degrees. View the full state-by-state list here. Additionally, in some states special considerations for reciprocity, application expedition, fee waivers, etc. may be available to teachers married to activity duty military personnel; be sure to contact the respective State Dept. Of Education to learn more.